Translate

Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Selfishness is the New Selflessness

Earlier this year I realized I needed to fulfill my dream of seeing the world's last remaining Mountain Gorillas...and while I'm at it, I figured I might as well go immerse myself in a Spanish-speaking country (something I've longed to do!)...and once I'm bilingual and if I still have time & money, maybe I should also go on down to Machu Picchu! What am I waiting for? I'm single, child-free, pet-free, debt-free, mortgage-free, and presumingly about half-way through my life. The time for my dreams to come true is now...so here I go!


To do list:
- Request one-year leave of absence from my teaching job. Granted.
- Convince my mother that I'll be safe. Done.
- Move out of my apartment and put "stuff" in storage. Done.
- Figure out how not to deplete my entire savings. TBD.


It's hard to feel free when you have a U-Haul FULL of stuff!
My first month of freedom was spent sleeping, celebrating with friends and moving out of my apartment. Then I headed to New England for three weeks of fun with some of my favorite people. I experienced a magical two days of music at the Newport Folk Festival...and then spent a few days in Wellfleet, my favorite childhood summer vacation spot. Spent the next two weeks creating special memories with my family around Massachusetts and New Hampshire, while also eating as much New England food as humanly possible. I've gained 20 pounds over the last two months, but I don't care. I'm the happiest I've ever been.

Lake Winnipesaukee reggae festival for my Grandma Mary's 87th birthday celebration!

5 comments:

  1. Kristin - I did this about 12 years ago - it was one of the smartest and courageous moves I ever made. You won't regret one second of it. Proud of you! xo, Crissy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Running into you and hearing your story was one of the serendipitous events that gave me the confidence to take this leap. Thank you! xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. You take care of your self, be safe, smart and enjoy this adventure. We will miss seeing your wonderful smile.You are a very brave young lady in my eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You make perfect sense to me! Ro (Your mom's friend)

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOW!! What a journey you have undertaken. Enjoy and be safe. We all miss your smile, hurry home.

    Walt, in San Diego

    ReplyDelete