Translate

Sunday, November 21, 2010

Detour to Kilema - part two

This little village of Kilema is crazy...and I think it might be a microcosm for the entire country of Tanzania. In the last week, I've met a man who hasn't left his porch in three years, witnessed a witch hunt aimed at village children, and have had trouble finding a banana to eat -- even though this house is surrounded by banana trees. Nothing is easy here.

Mama Flora introduced me to a man who hasn't been able to leave his home in three years because the tires on his wheelchair are deflated. This is a perfect example of a solvable problem that no one solves. (Mind boggling!)  (Had Babu Bob known about this problem, he would have fixed it in a heartbeat....but Mama didn't tell him for some reason.) One trip to bike stores in Moshi and the problem is almost fixed...now just need to find someone to repair the tires (supposedly the carpenter at the church knows how to do this...we will see). Unfortunately, everyone is so consumed with current village drama that I'm afraid there will be a delay getting this done...but the man hasn't used his wheelchair in three years...I guess he can wait a few more days, right?

The 14 year old boy on the right has been this man's aide since the age of 7
 when his parents died of AIDS. He helps this man with everything.
Warren's camera was stolen from his room last week. A witch hunt ensued, in which some village children were put on trial by many local adults (including the village chairman) as their way of investigating. Hours of finger pointing and crying and yelling and pushing led to..........nothing. So instead of going about it in a different way, the village leaders got the police involved and took the teens to jail down in Himo, so the truth could be beaten out of them. I won't get into all the details, but the way the case of the missing camera has been handled would be laughable if it wasn't so sad. You are definitely guilty until proven innocent here. The camera drama is now going on its fifth day and still....no camera. Talk about a distraction! I need to get Babu Bob back on track first thing tomorrow morning...I have a plan.

banana tree from my bedroom window
(bananas everywhere, except the dining table)



Just about my favorite kid in Africa...
Emanuel is 14, orphaned, & possibly the sweetest teenage boy I've ever met.




Mama Flora with Frank and his friend
(see last week's entry for his story)
Obedio, 14 yr old orphan born HIV+...
a regular around here





























Thoughts: I appreciate things now that I never knew were important to me, like fitted sheets and pens. I've also learned to never buy Snickers bars in East Africa (g-r-o-s-s). Refrigerators are great, but not necessary. And when you leave your window open, bugs WILL enter...and they will stay all night...and usually the next day too.


My typical afternoon snack


Our 16 yr old cook, Jackie, isn't able to
 attend school so she works for Babu instead.
I'm worried that she gets too attached to the
volunteers who come and go. 

Babu Bob in his newly organized office (never mind the desk mess)...Wall decorations by yours truly.
  

Rhode Island cousins, Becky & Alyssa, with Steven...one of the best kids EVER. The mark on the top of his head is his teacher's way of letting his parents know he can't return until his head is shaved (like a note home).

This picture was taken in front of the fancy neighborhood bar and ironically, 
 by the young boy who stole the camera (under the order of an older kid, supposedly).




4 comments:

  1. Love the pictures and getting to see what you were writing about in part 1. What a crazy, wonderful place! I like Babu Bob's wall organizational and motivational system....nice touch, Kristin! It is truly amazing all that you have done and seen in the few months you have been there! But, have to admit that it will be nice to have you home at Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This post is by chuck. Amazing is a small word for what you have brought to our home. We talk about what you have seen and been involved with to almost everyone. i so enjoy the smiles on the faces of the children and the stories of their lives. One of them will be the person who makes the world a better place. I think you also are a catalyst for those kinds of changes. you have truly changed my thinking about what is important in this world. it is not the "Chargers"
    It will be great to have you home with us over Christmas

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kristin: I've just read this entry as my first foray into your blog, and I'm so impressed and, embarassingly, almost tearful about how amazing this experience is... I may become as addicted to your blog as i have been lately to (cringing): House. : )

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been following you posts and they are quite moving. What an amazing adventure you are having!

    ReplyDelete