Translate

Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Attenzione!

The title of this entry is only meant to capture your attention. There actually isn't all that much to report, but there have been a few mildly noteworthy things that have happened in the last month:


First of all, I have a bicycle. It's a foldable vintage bike (though I haven't figured out how to fold it and it might not actually be vintage). A student gave it to me to use during my stay here, which is the kindest thing a Veronese has ever done for me. Since I'm not allowed to store it in the garage of my apartment building (more on that drama later), I have to carry it down and up the stairs each time I use it. I almost gave myself a black-eye with the handlebars during my first attempt, but I'm slowly becoming more efficient & careful. It's all about balance and control, so I guess carrying a bike isn't all that different from riding one. 


I'm also in a new love-hate relationship with the Present Perfect.  It's complicated.


I've adopted the use of an alarm clock into my daily routine, an unwelcome addition, but a necessary one due to my Mon-Wed-Fri early morning classes at the army barracks. (Where I get to teach a classroom of uniformed Italian men!)

And we've had a couple earthquakes, ones big enough to scare the Veronese into closing the schools for a day and a half. Did you know you can predict earthquakes? Neither did I, but after the 9:30 a.m.  quake, another trembler was predicted for about noon that day. This meant that almost everyone was outside, evacuated from their office buildings, schools, stores and hospitals. Just waiting. 


I had my first cold of 2012, which I thought was an allergy attack to my new alpaca sweater. Thank god I was wrong because I really like that sweater. Then I got my second cold of 2012, which turned into a sinus infection and put me out of commission for a couple of days. It was then when I realized the important role Sudafed plays in my life. When you start rationing decongestants, you've seen better days. By the way, did you know that I got sick because it's cold outside? Yes, in case you missed the memo from 1928, people get sick from cold weather. Not from viruses. It's a common fact here. 




Speaking of cold weather, it's been snowing! This is new territory for me...I mean, I've been in the snow before, but I've never had to walk or bike to work in the snow. Snow = slippery! Winter here means lots of fur coats.  It also means less eye contact, a constant reinforcement of the "closed" behavior that the Veronese are so well known for. And amazingly, it means Verona has become even more beautiful. There's just something about a medieval town laced in white frost.


Winter also means comfort food at the Stefanoni house. After much anticipation, I have finally eaten pearĂ . This is perhaps the dish that the Veronese take the most pride in, as it is seeped in regional history dating back centuries. It's only served in the winter months and best when prepared by an Italian mother. My surrogate Italian mom, Margerita, made it for Sunday lunch and it was definitely worth the wait. It's basically a super savory peppery sauce (made with bone marrow) that is served with various boiled meats. Yes, I said bone marrow.


And I'm trying to teach myself about Italian art, which is giving me a focus during my stay here in Verona. So far, the learning has mostly happened only through osmosis. I stumbled upon Giuseppe Arcimboldo while teaching a 12 year old girl in her home and was transfixed on her poster of this amazing produce man next to her little desk. While visiting Il Settecento a Verona, a temporary exhibit here in town, I absorbed some 18th century Veronese-related art that provided insight into the history of this area. Portraits of regular people and rich people and rulers, as well as some religious art, of course. I get all mixed up when I try to remember the names and the periods and the details, but for now, this is my new thing.


On the horizon: 
I turn another year older this Saturday, which I guess is really fantastic when you take into account the alternative. One of my colleagues, perhaps the youngest one, recently told me that I looked good for my age, especially considering how old I am. I think this was a compliment. 


Also, on Feb 22nd the three mean women in my apartment building will have their official apartment building meeting, in which the issue of my bicycle will be on the agenda. Will it be allowed overnight storage in the ground floor garage (which is huge and practically empty)? Or will I need to continue carrying it up to my fourth floor apartment? I think I know the answer already.


With only four months left here, I plan to continue enjoying every day, person, class, bite, sip and sunset I encounter. Each day is a gift. Here, there, or anywhere. 
Olfino Horizon, Jan. 2012

1 comment:

  1. My mother must have read that same book from 1928. She too cannot be convinced that colds come from anywhere but cold weather. By the way, that saying about riding a bicycle is common in Portugal too. I remember my dad saying that to us whenever we got something we wanted that didn't really work out the way we thought it would. Anyway, I love reading your blog and seeing your photos so please keep it up.
    Dee

    ReplyDelete