Translate

Tuesday, July 19, 2011

The End (which is always the beginning)

I spent the last three weeks in the Italian countryside analyzing the meaning of life. OK, not completely...I also spent my time eating, drinking, laughing, meeting new friends...and searchng for a job. And I'm happy to report that I found one: A teaching position that does not involve hours of preparation or recovery...A teaching job that allows me to simply show up, work, and then leave. The concept seems so outrageous to me! I won't get into all the details now, but just know that I'll be teaching English in Verona starting this September. Verona, by the way, is breathtakingly beautiful...not too big, not too small...and is only a hop, skip & a jump away from my support system in Olfino.


My first week in Olfino intentionally coincided with my father's biannual visit to his grandfather's homeland. My father is responsible for making my connection to Olfino possible....as a child, my grandmother would talk about this magical place, but my father is the person who actually brought me here eight years ago to experience it for myself. Since then, he's helped me maneuver around the area and better understand our ties to this little village. When he first brought me here, he told me that it would be my duty to stay connected with this little hamlet of Oflino in the years to come. My pleasure. :) During this trip, he made my job hunt in Verona so much easier...not sure how I would have managed it without him.
My dad with the seafood pasta at
Gino's in Olfino...delicious!


Beginning of an amazing meal at 
the Gozzi farmhouse 
(aka winery, aka cantina, aka vineyard)

Amabile is 95 and has visited Milan's Duomo
almost every day of her adult life.
She likes to recite prayers to me in Italian.
 
One night a week they have free from working at their restaurant
...and who do they take out to dinner? Me!!! I felt very lucky.
 
Regina & Maria were my neighbors in Olfino. I spent quite a bit of time with them,
pretending like I understood what they were saying to me. Maria (right) has alzheimer's and
Regina, about 20 years her senior, is constantly correcting her.
 
View through the kitchen window
of the Monzambano apartment

When my father went home, I moved two miles down the road to Monzambano. My grandmother's cousin, Luigina, lived in a beautiful apartment directly across from the Monzambano church. I remember my grandmother telling me stories of this town, of this apartment and of Luigina, who traveled the world as a seamstress for the opera. I had the pleasure of meeting Luigina a few times. She passed away over a year ago and since then, her apartment has sat practically untouched. Her sister offered it to me, since I needed to travel to Verona a few times that week and Monzambano has public transportation (a bus that comes twice a day!!!). When I went to look at the inside of the apartment with my father, we had just learned of the death of my grandmother's brother, Bruce, an incredibly strong & family oriented man who had very special ties to the Monzambano area. The first picture I saw when we entered the apartment was of my grandmother, who passed away six years ago. The second picture was of my Uncle Bruce with Luigina. And there I was, moving into Luigina's space, surrounded by her memories and her things...and pictures of loved ones who have passed on. In some ways it was really nice to stay in her home, but it was also sad and at times lonely. Items Luigina collected from her world travels were placed all over her apartment, which reminded me of her independence...She never married (although I hear she had many suitors)...and I can't help but wonder if my destiny will be similar.
  


Not sure if I would have made it
through this trip without Mery Sun...
translator, singer, chauffeur, friend.
 
Birra Team with beautiful Marta & handsome Omar
 My last weekend was spent "working" the beer tent at Olfino's biggest festival of the year, Sagra del Polastrel. At first I thought this "chicken festival" was quirky and cute....but while there I realized it's actually a very meaningful event for the people who live here. Olfino and the neighboring village collaboratively put it on...and it is quite a production...four nights of amazing food, music, reunions, pride and friendship. I felt very lucky to be a small part of it. I also loved all the attention I received as the "Americana" who came all the way to Olfino just for the festival. :)

I think that s
ometimes we need to explore, fulfill dreams, travel, search & reflect in order to realize what we've had all along. I'm at the point now where I can go in just about any direction I want. Having so many options feels amazing, but also a little scary. How does one choose? What is most important in life? New experiences & new friends in Italy? Or family & familiarity in San Diego? I think the answer is neither. A balance between the two is necessary for me to be happiest. Life is too short to not live out your dreams...but there is a fine line between fulfillment & loss. If we're too busy making our dreams come true, we miss out on time and memories with our loved ones.

Speaking of...I just learned that the health of my Grandma Mary ("Reggae Mama") has taken a turn for the worse. So instead of San Diego, I am on my way to Boston to see her. One year ago, my grandmother's 87th birthday celebration was the kick-off to "My Year of Me" and now, I'll be with her as I end my journey. Beginnings & Endings are always intertwined. 



 

4 comments:

  1. Friend, loved reading your entry. Congrats on the job and so sorry to hear of your Grandma's health...sending hugs to you both! Safe travels. xo Rach

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kristin - I loved reading the part about seeing the photos of your grandmother and my dad. We ARE very connected to that part of the world and it brings me much pleasure that you are so involved there. All the best to you as you make your way home. With lots of love, Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kristin -
    Love your posts from the old country. I really must get back there, haven't been since the 70's! A picture of you grandma and my dad in the apartment...how cool is that?! It was good seeing Katie and your dad at the memorial for my father. My eulogy to him is on my blog:
    http://supportswamibruce.blogspot.com/

    Viva Verona!
    Soon,
    Bruce

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so proud of you... You have come to such an amazing place in your life. You're at the fork in the road that so many of us fear, and yet somehow you are taking both roads at the same time. I am so envious, the freedom, the peace and the joy you have experienced over the past year- I just want a taste of that! ;) Cant wait to catch up! Love ya!

    ReplyDelete