Translate

Tuesday, September 7, 2010

"Aisha, NO!" (my most often used saying in Moshi)

Our "after school program"

Twice a week from 2-4pm, the neighborhood’s little ones come by for some fun with us. We call it an after school program, but it feels more like a childcare facility. Most of the kids are 3-6 years old and arrive in a group, rarely attended by an adult. The kids live close by, mostly in shacks...and this is a real treat for them. My first day with the kids was complete mayhem and afterward I felt like maybe I wasn’t cut out for working with little ones anymore. I sought structure where there was none…and the language barrier was very frustrating. I was worried, but Round Two was so great! I worked mostly with the older students (7-10 years old) and it went so smoothly. There is such a contrast between the behavior challenges I faced in my teaching jobs in the U.S. and the behavior I see here. These children show immense respect toward adults…and they want to learn…and they appreciate everything, regardless of how small. But then there’s Aisha. She drives me crazy…and of course she is becoming one of my favorite people. She is super defiant and needy and manipulative (just how I like them!). I love projects.
This is Aisha. Don't let her cuteness fool you! :)
I know. Ridiculously adorable.

6 comments:

  1. Aisha sounds like she's your teacher;
    the lessons we learn from children.
    So proud of you sweetie, keep up the amazing work, we love to hear it-

    Blessings Sista,
    Amanda

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kristin,

    Glad to hear you have made some friends :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do you have finger paint or water color and paper there? If so I'd donate $1 per "program member" that can paint me a pic of an animal, and I'll send another $20 to send the stack back here once you get a chance. Is that unreasonable? I just ask that each be signed with a 1st name at the bottom. Have fun, JimS

    ReplyDelete
  4. You've landed in a wonderful place....so glad you are enjoying it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you, everyone! Jim, I will see what I can do...not too sure I can organize that sort of thing, but it's a great idea and I appreciate your generosity! :)

    ReplyDelete