Translate

Saturday, September 11, 2010

Ugali by Candlelight

I went on my first “home visit,” which is a way to assess a student’s level of need: living situations + academic achievement + motivation + business plan = chance of receiving support for start-up business. Odelia is a 25 year old woman who is extremely shy, but has recently come out of her shell in English class. She moved to Moshi a few years ago from her village so she could make money and currently works at a small market, where she probably makes about $40 a month. She works insanely long hours, but still manages to make it to class everyday (and stay awake), even though it is an hour walk to school…and then another hour walk to work. She is a gentle soul and I really hope this opportunity to learn English and business skills helps her to grow and gain the self confidence needed to “make it.” She’s considering secretarial school, but also likes the idea of owning a small business. She lives in a tiny two room place with two other women. All the cooking is done outside in a communal courtyard shared with about ten other residences. She welcomed us with pride into her living room, where she had laid out a beautiful spread of food that she obviously spent a lot of time preparing. (Note: home visits are not mandatory and are only done upon a student’s request.) The food was delicious and we had a really nice time visiting and talking and eating. It was about my 500th reality check since I’ve been here.

Odelia's home visit
By the way, I am now a chapati cooking expert. Margaret taught me in exchange for a guacamole making lesson. Coincidentally, chapati and guacamole make an excellent match…add some beans (which we did) and it feels like home. I’ve decided to create a new type of cuisine called Tanzmex, which I think would be quite popular here.
Margaret & her guacamole
I bought a black doll because
 I was sick of seeing African kids play with
 naked, white Barbies. It was a hit.
As for the title of this entry, it describes my dinner last night. Ugali, a flavorless, thick dough made from cooking a mixture of flour & water, is the staple of most dinners here. We ate by candlelight because the electric company locked our meter box, which means we can't purchase more electricity...and of course, this is happening on a holiday weekend (Eid, the end of Ramadan). I have a headlamp, so I'm fine. :)

Debate day in the advanced English class.
Balloon day! Don't worry, mom, we made sure they knew not 
to put them in their mouths!

I let a 12 year old boy use my camera during 
the after school program and I really
like this shot he took of another boy.

2 comments:

  1. I think the 1st Tanzmex Restauraunt will be a big hit too. Perhaps you could help Odelia or a group of mom's start it..
    Did you consider selling your own, or the "kids pics if kids" on line? If people knew of your cause and why, I bet you could sell a lot of them..
    why did they lock the power box ?

    You all look so much happier and healthier than i'd expected .. It's a bit of a relief.
    Regards, JimS

    ReplyDelete
  2. How wonderful that we can be a part of this through your wonderful writing and pictures! I love blogs and facebook!!

    ReplyDelete