Translate

Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Musanze, Rwanda - photos


Only about 700 mountain gorillas left in the world.

After munching on bamboo leaves for awhile, this Silverback walked out of the bush and plopped himself down right in front of us!

Dreams really do come true!


100% Cuteness

Professional mountain gorilla trackers (my heroes)

These kids ran up the mountainside from their lakeside village after spotting me from afar...one by one! Out of breath, each one calmly said the same thing: "Hello. My name is _____.
What is your name? Where are you from? Nice to meet you."


These kids ran after our Land Rover and once we stopped to take a picture of the view, they also stopped to talk. Out of breath, each one calmly said the same thing: "Hello. My name is _____. What is your name? Where are you from? Nice to meet you."

I delivered my Monarch students' mini posters about saving the mountain gorillas to the head office. This man is in charge of all gorilla tracking and he was so excited that kids in California know facts about saving the mountain gorillas. The posters will be displayed in a local primary school.

Visit to Amahoro Orphanage.
These kids were so amazing. They sang and danced for us....and played and wanted
their picture taken...and wouldn't stop smiling. :)

My new BFF at the orphanage. She became very possessive of me!


The independent wanderer
"Take my picture, take my picture, take my picture, take my picture."

My guide (and now friend), Gerard, was so good with all the little kids.
:(

My last morning in Northwestern Rwanda was spent tracking the endangered Golden Monkey. Since I was mildly obsessed with nonhuman primates at one point in my life, this was REALLY exciting for me!


7 comments:

  1. Kristin I am enjoying your adventure. What a thrill to have that gorilla right in front of you with those eyes looking at you. The children are beautiful. It will be hard to move on to your next adventure but the experience will always be part of you. Thanks for sharing it all with us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an amazing experience! The Monarch posters are awesome! What an incredible idea!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow... no words seem to fit a description of how amazing this is. :) I can't believe you delivered that book... Gives me goosebumps. Congrats Kristin, it looks as if your journey has just begun. I am excited to see the amazing things that God brings into your life along the way. Thanks for sharing... a reminder that there is more to life than just work. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my Gosh! Wow.. These pictures and the stories they tell are simply stunning. Truly is a REAL Adventure. Very moving write ups too Kristin.. Geeze.. Please try to be safe out there .. I'll bet you wish you could do a lot more to help.. But it's possible this will motivate many others to help you do just that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am soooo proud of you! You are doing what so many women would be afraid to do! Isn't it thrilling? You are in love, I can see. Every day draws you closer to these beautiful people. I hope you can continue your efforts even when you return. Love you! Roberta

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your pictures are amazing, your blog has made up our minds about getting to see the gorillas soonest. Thanks for the mention by the way, all the best on your adventure. Neil and the Coral Rock Team

    ReplyDelete